Pink Think: “It is hard to check five email inboxes, three voice mail systems, or five blogs that you are tracking.” – David Rose
Here’s my take on it. To me, a blog is:
1. Instant readership and feedback. When I write freelance magazine articles, I finally see the fruits of my labor MONTHS later. In contrast, I can blog about something timely and see it online seconds later!
2. An online community. I have made many friends through blogging. I cannot believe how many writers I have “met” this way, and I’ve learned so much.
3. A fun creative outlet. I love experimenting and personalizing my blog and saying, “Here I am!” to the world.
On the flip side, a blog is:
1. A time-waster. Unless you blog for a living, a blog can suck time away from other, worthwhile things. I have not been as productive writing fiction now that I blog and track other blogs. I have to really discipline myself and limit my time, or unplug.
2. A distraction from my family. I blog when the family is asleep. Otherwise, it seems silly to be making all these friends online when I am not interacting with my kids.
3. A way to avoid chores. I could be weeding the garden, right now, for instance.